Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Stuff That Would Make Brawl a Super Awesome Game
10:58 AM

Right now, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a "pretty awesome game." It's nowhere near "super awesome", though. I want my games to be super awesome, damn it! So here's what I think would make Brawl super awesome.
  1. IR Pointer Functionality in Menus

    I find myself using the Wiimote + Nunchuk control scheme most of the time, and I find myself wanting to point at the screen to select menu options and what not. BUT NO! Nintendo makes me use the damn analog stick to move the cursor around. WTF?

    Also, the stage builder with the analog stick is anything but intuitive. It would've been so much easier and faster if I could use the IR pointer. Seriously, why didn't they include this simple little thing in the game? They added it to menus that didn't even need it in their previous games! Did I need IR functionality to select my save game in Zelda? No, but they added it, and Twilight Princess was pretty much a Gamecube game! Now here's Brawl, a Wii game. IR in menus? Nah. WTF?

  2. Take Out Slipping

    Seriously, it's stupid and annoying. It hasn't cost me a match yet, but it's only a matter of time before it does. There's no reason it should be in the game, damn it!

  3. More Efficient Loading

    Ugh, the load times in this game are lame as hell. They're very noticeable, and are pretty slow compared to Melee's. There's the initial load before the game starts, then there's loading before matches, and even loading DURING matches. Wonder why it takes so damn long for you to respawn in Subspace Emissary? Click click click, it's loading. Hey, why is it taking so damn long for the next enemy to appear in an event match? Oh right, it's loading. CLICK CLICK CLICK. I'm also pretty sure that Zelda's transformation takes longer due to loading, though it might just be a balance thing. Whatever.

    At times, it'll take what seems like forever to load a match. It's hard to tell if the Wii is frozen or not here, 'cause the screen just freezes with "NOW LOADING" in static text. Not very good presentation right there. If they had implemented some type of versus screen or something to better hide the loading, then that would've been sufficient. Blah.

    The Wii itself seems to be at fault here. It apparently has trouble reading dual-layer discs. Fail.

  4. More Orchestrated Music

    Yeah.

  5. Better Online: Remove Friend Codes, Implement Better Friend System

    You knew this was gonna be here. Friend Codes are annoying as hell. 12 digits for every online game you have, and even more 12 digits for each friend for each game. And there's also no way to communicate with these friends outside of 4 "taunts" within a friend match.

    I want a way to tell them "Hey, let's play some Smash Bros." when they're not actually connected within the Wi-Fi menu in Brawl. That's another thing...Why the hell are you only connected to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection in that menu!? The Wii is supposed to be connected to the Internet 24/7, but you have to connect to the WFC through that menu in order to receive data and such. And if you leave the menu, it forces you to disconnect from the WFC! You should be connected to the WFC at all times, so your friends could maybe send you invites to games. Right now, you have to either call up a friend (and I hate using the phone), or get lucky and catch them online at the same time, and then hope they see you've created a room for you. You can't even say, "Hey, I see you online, let's fight!" Ugh.

    What's stupider, is that there is actually better friend-addition system in the game that doesn't require friend codes...but you need a friend and a friend of that friend that you don't have to join the same game as you. Then the game will ask you if you want to add your friend's friend, and you just say yes or no. I haven't experienced this directly. This info comes from Craig at IGN, and I trust him. So this shows that Nintendo is perfectly capable of creating and "Add a friend" feature that doesn't need friend codes... yet they decide to go with friend codes anyway. :(

  6. Better Online: Communication

    Voice chat, and ability to invite friends to games even though they're not in the Brawl Wi-Fi menu...or it'd be even better if you could invite friends when they're not even playing Brawl...but that's pretty much impossible. Maybe if the Wii Message Board didn't send messages like a snail...

  7. Better Online: Better Online (Get rid of the damn lag!)

    Yeah, I'm sure you're gonna blame my connection for the lag I've been getting. But why is it that I can play any other online game without lag? I'm guessing Brawl's netcode just sucks. It's pretty stupid, but, hey, what do I expect? Sakurai apologized for the lag a looooong time ago, even before the game came out.

    Also, why can't I play one-on-one in "With Anyone" mode online? I connect to someone, and then the game adds two computer players to the match. I'm guessing that without those CPUs, there might've been less lag 'cause there'd be less crap to keep up with...but I'm not networking genius, so maybe that's not how it works at all. Still, I'd like some friggin' OPTIONS, Nintendo...

  8. Have the Subspace Emissary Make Sense...and Fun to Play

    Self-explanatory.

  9. Allow Saving of Replays Over 3 Minutes

    I've had some pretty cool matches, but I wasn't able to save them because they were stock matches over 3 minutes long. The game will not let you save replays that are over 3 minutes long! So annoying, and I'm guessing the only reason they limit it is 'cause the Wii only has 512 MB of storage (which is stupid also).

    I once did something really cool, that I wanted to save a replay of, but I realized it was 3-stock match, and would last well over 3 minutes, so I ended up just ending the game prematurely by canceling it. Luckily I was able to save a replay of this...but I didn't get to finish the match. =[

To be honest, SSBB has made me realize how crappy the Wii actually is. The online, the limited storage, the hardware itself (stupid disc drive) really hold the system back.

Don't get me wrong, though. SSBB is a good game. It's a better Melee, essentially, but it could've been so much more. It's annoying to know how much more awesome SSBB could've been. Oh well...maybe for the next game...on the next system.

...or maybe Nintendo will make a DS version! Nintendo's DS online crap seems to be better than their console online crap. DS even has voice chat!
Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 September 2009 August 2010 December 2010 July 2011 August 2011 June 2012 July 2012 August 2012 January 2013

Powered by Blogger