Saturday, January 19, 2008
J.R. Watches Movies!: Cloverfield
4:25 AM

I'm not really sleepy, so while I wait for Terminator 2 to finish downloading, I'll be talking about my Cloverfield experience.

Let's get a little more professional and structure this entry logically. First, my reaction to the first teaser trailer from Transformers. I had read on GameFAQs about "Cloverfield" before even seeing Transformers. I just read that it was some really weird trailer without a name. Then I saw it for myself. I was like, "Wow...WTF?" Then I went back to GameFAQs after seeing Transformers and then there was speculation about Voltron and Cthulu and blah blah blah. I personally was like, "Voltron would be awesome, but I'll just wait for the movie to come out." So I did. I did not really give into the "hype." I wasn't all excited about "OMG, I WONDER WHAT THE MONSTER LOOKS LIKE." I was more like, "I just wanna know what this whole thing is about." So I guess that's a component to why I was not disappointed by the movie. I had no expectations before seeing the movie, so there was little room for disappointment.

Cat (Caitlin wants me to call her that now) said something about "another monster movie?" Cloverfield is definitely not just "another monster movie." Now, I haven't seen the entirety of the original Godzilla, and I don't remember anything about Godzilla 2000, but I'm going to assume that the movie focused mainly on the monster destroying crap, and it clearly showed what the monster looked like and its actions. In Cloverfield, "SpongeBob" (which is what I'll be calling the monster) is pretty much a mystery. Since you're viewing everything from the victims' perspectives, you have no idea WTF SpongeBob is going to do. This makes the movie kinda scary. You don't know what to expect because you don't know where the hell the monster is. There's no warning for when he attacks.

People complain/will complain about not knowing more about the monster. If you're watching this movie solely for the monster, you will be disappointed. This movie is about the victims. And that makes it awesome. Having the movie focus on the victims more than the monster makes this movie special. If it had focused on the monster just tearing stuff up from a birds-eye view, it would've just looked cheesey-- Well, this does happen, but then something similar to what happens in Call of Duty 4 and makes you remember you're still with the victims, so its anything but cheesey.

The shaky cam...yeah, it made me sick, but I don't think I would've had the movie filmed any other way. I never saw the Blair With Project, so this type of thing was new to me, and I'm sure that having a movie with a giant monster destroying things filmed in this manner is superior than filming a movie with some sticks banging in the woods...'least that's something I read on GameFAQs.

The movie is one word: intense. I really want people to see it ASAP, because the large screen, the booming surround sound, and all that jazz really makes the movie a great experience (as long as you're don't eat a lot of popcorn and aren't prone to motion sickness). Once they move the movie to one of the smaller screens, I don't think it'll be as good. Also, don't read the damn spoilers.

Now I'm getting tired of typing and I can't remember other stuff I was gonna talk about...

Once you start reading up on the viral marketing on the Internets, Cloverfield becomes even more interesting. The stuff about Slusho and the Japenese drilling company is quite interesting, and people have come up with some crazy, but logical theories regarding those things...then there are those lamers who try to discredit these theories using science. WTF? "Eggs couldn't come from space 'cause it's absolute zero and organisms wouldn't be able to survive" or "it couldn't have come from the deep ocean 'cause the difference in pressure would kill it." And then people complain about the Signs aliens being weak to water. Man, it's a movie about a giant monster. SUSPEND YOUR BELIEF. 'course, if the thing that came from the sky did just turn out to be a satellite that made the Slusho drilling guys look for it and wake up the monster, that makes it all much less interseting, but whatever. I'm partial to the "Slusho is made from crazy monster nectar that makes the monster kill people" or something like that. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Learn to use the Internet. >=[

Other complaints come from the ending or the fact that they didn't explain the origins of the monster or anything like that. Really, if they just had some scientist guy randomly show up and be like, "Oh, well, this is what happened", then it really would have ruined the tone of the movie. Don't get me wrong, though. I want to know what happened, especially since I'm afraid there might not be a sequel, but a straight explanation from the movie itself just wouldn't have been acceptable to me. But we're apparently going to get more viral clues up until the DVD release, so yay.

I have no idea what I'm talking about now. Go see Cloverfield.
Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 September 2009 August 2010 December 2010 July 2011 August 2011 June 2012 July 2012 August 2012 January 2013

Powered by Blogger