Tuesday, January 15, 2008
It's in the Air
6:02 PM


So today, Apple announced their ultraportable laptop: the Macbook Air. Wanna know my reactions to it? Sure you do.

The Name

Terrible. "Macbook Air" is a stupid name. It just sounds lame and unsexy. What's my old Macbook supposed to be? "Macbook Dirt"? A better name would've been the "AirBook", but I guess Apple wants to keep the "Macbook" name in their. Maybe take a note from Nintendo and call it "Macbook Lite." Or maybe "Macbook Mini"!

The Design

I suppose it works. It matches the new iMacs, with the black and aluminum color scheme. I love the Macbook keyboard, so that's great and all. The thinness is...AMAZING. I saw that envelope and I was like, "WTF, if fits in that?!" 'course, the thinness comes with some sacrifices, but I'll get to that later... Seriously, though, it looks like I could break that thing by accident! But the thinness makes it look sexy, and I like sexy electronics.

The Features

Most awesome thing about the Macbook Air: the multi-touch trackpad. I love it...I want it in MY Macbook, plz! It's just so sleek and awesome. Check it out in action here, here, here, and here.

Only 1 UBS port? That's really lame, but I guess the idea here is that it's supposed to be almost totally wireless for portability, so you'll be using a bluetooth mouse, or just the trackpad most of the time. No big deal, I guess. You'll mainly be using the port for a optical disc drive, because...

No optical drive?! WTF?! That's really lame. But again, I understand why, 'cause it adds to the portability factor. And it's obvious to me that Apple is trying to get you to use its other products instead of relying on a disc drive. Wanna back up your hard drive? Don't burn a disc, send the data to Time Capsule. Wanna watch a DVD? Rent it on iTunes! Burn a music CD?! WTF, Just use an iPod and iTunes! Yeah, I find it stupid, too, but if you're lugging a bunch of CDs around with your Macbook Air, you've got no business owning an ultraportable. >=[

But how do you install software without an optical drive? Remote Disc, which is kinda neat. 'course, you've got to already have a computer with a disc drive to use it, but I see the Macbook Air as a compliment to your other computers, so I guess that's understandable...

5 hour battery-life. AWESOME.

64 GB solid-state drive. Cool, but expensive. 'course, I know people are gonna be like, "ONLY 64 GB!??! LAME." But you've gotta understand that it's got no moving parts, and is faster than a traditional hard drive. So it's got its advantages...especially in an ultraportable like this.

The Price

$1799. Too much money for me, especially since I really don't need a Macbook Air.

The Conclusion

I'd rather just get another Macbook (non-Air) if I needed a new laptop. An ultraportable won't have much use to me. However, if I had crap loads of money, and more powerful desktop Mac at home, a Macbook Air would compliment it very well to just take to school and stuff. But I emphasize the part where I'd need craploads of money.

Now, if they put the multi-touch trackpad on the Macbook Pro, that's definitely going to be MINE...eventually. :D
Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 September 2009 August 2010 December 2010 July 2011 August 2011 June 2012 July 2012 August 2012 January 2013

Powered by Blogger